Let’s learn from those who do it well.
Some of us cope better with challenges and adversity than others. It helps us to understand what qualities, skills, and strategies are used by those who are getting it right.
Do you want to cope better? Here is what you can learn from people who do it well.
1. Be proactive. People who are better at coping with adversity are proactive doers and problem solvers. You know yourself better than anyone, so can you predict when you might struggle? What do you think you need to do to prepare better for future challenges?
2. Be curious. What can you learn about the situation or yourself? What is a creative solution to your problem?
3. Acknowledge the problem exists. Do not dismiss or avoid an issue. Acknowledge the problem and use critical thinking to approach it.
4. Be disciplined. Create a routine, structure, and show up. Set a goal, remind yourself that you can achieve it and why it is important for you to do it.
5. Acknowledge your emotional needs. Do you need to feel secure, safe, and hopeful? Do not just push the emotions aside or pretend they are not important. We often push away what we consider to be bad or negative emotions and mainly welcome positive ones. Emotions help us to better understand where we are and if our needs are being met, or if something is happening in our environment that is not helpful or supportive.
6. Be in control of your impulses. Think about your actions and their consequences. Do not simply act because you are frustrated with a situation. No matter how difficult something is, it will eventually pass, but our actions can do lifelong damage to ourselves and others.
7. Reflect on your values and take steps towards a better and more meaningful life. What kind of person do you want to be? What do you stand for? What kind of friend, parent, partner, or relative do you want to be? Reflect and decide on what is important to you. Take steps towards becoming the person you want to be.
Do you want to start coping better today? Do you struggle to manage your impulses and discipline? Check out our courses; we designed them specifically for you to help you to be in control of your behaviours and create the great life you want.